This recipe is the perfect antidote to cold weather-induced comfort food cravings. Aromatic and creamy, this spicy soup is based on the traditional Thai soup Tom Kha Gai and is made with health promoting ginger, coconut and chili paste, which are all thought to aid in weight control.
- 1 large onion, minced.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemongrass.
- 2 tablespoon minced ginger.
- 2 tablespoon red chili paste or minced red chili.
- 2 ½ tablespoons coconut aminos.
- 2 cans coconut milk, shaken.
- 4-5 cups diced chicken breast.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock.
- ¼ cilantro for garnish.
- In a large soup pot, melt the coconut oil on low heat and add in the minced onion. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the lemon grass, ginger, chili paste and coconut aminos. Stir well.
- Add in coconut milk. Stir well, simmering for 30 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Pour in chicken broth and diced chicken breast, turning the heat up to medium.
- Once the soup boils, reduce to low heat and simmer an additional 20 to 30 minutes to ensure chicken is cooked thoroughly and soup develops it’s full flavor.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
What are your cold weather healthy comfort foods?