Weight loss is really not rocket science. If we follow the anti-inflammatory diet the weight will come off. It consists of the following components:
- high-quality protein, like those found in fish, shellfish, poultry and tofu;
- low-glycemic (will not provoke a glycemic response when consumed in moderation) carbohydrates including colorful fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains such as old-fashioned oatmeal, legumes such as beans and lentils;
- healthy fats, such as those found in cold water fish (especially wild Alaskan salmon, halibut, sardines, herring, anchovies, etc.), nuts, seeds, and olive oil
- 8 -10 glasses of pure spring water per day.
- Antioxidant rich beverages such as green tea
For anti-inflammatory diet plans, visit our Perricone Diets page.
It’s easy enough to follow this at home, but dining out, BBQ’s and summer dinner parties can all sabotage even the healthiest of diets. Here are a few tips to eat healthy in social dining situations:
- Eat a protein-filled snack before heading out to help minimize temptation of appetizers or chips and dip
- Bring your own anti-inflammatory dish to share (for ideas, visit www.perriconerecipes.com)
- Choose broiled rather than fried fish or poultry
- Avoid beef unless it is grass-fed. Many restaurants are now offering this option.
- If you’re going to a BBQ, offer to bring the meat, which ensures you can opt for a grass-fed option.
- Select olive oil and fresh lemon for your salad dressing
- Instead of rice or potatoes load up on vegetables
- Skip the bread basket or the bun
- Choose red wine instead of a cocktail