Ditch your salad staples and incorporate some of these tips to turn your salad into a nutrition powerhouse:
- Mash a few anchovies and add to your salad dressing for an added burst of flavor, DMAE and omega-3s!
- Sprinkle sprouts over the top of your salad for a new texture and a healthy dose of antioxidants.
- Go dark! Choose greens with darker colors, such as kale, spinach, broccoli rabe and arugula. These options not only taste better than plain old iceberg lettuce, but are better for you.
- Add fresh berries for extra color, sweetness and antioxidants.
- Reinvent leftover cooked veggies like asparagus, zucchini and broccoli. With just a few chops, last night’s vegetables can spruce up today’s lunch salad.
- Go for color. Make sure your salad isn’t just different shades of green. Aim to get a rainbow of colors to maximize taste and nutrition.
- Add crunch with flaxseeds, which are packed with essential fatty acids, lignans, and fiber.